Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Stretching out your shins...by KC

Finally I am getting around to posting what KC sent me regarding shin splints and stretching them out.
Here we go...

Ok, i found pictures to show the stretches. this is the main one i do when i'm running and i start to feel the shins tighten up:

basically, the front leg is the one stretching and you are pushing it with the back leg. make sure your toes on the leg stretching are pointed back. i know kind of hard to visualize but you will know when you are doing it right b/c you will feel the anterior tib muscle stretching. a lot of times, really keeping the calves loose is a huge plus. when i have to stop and stretch the shins, i always follow it by stretching the calves. the pain or tightness goes away almost instantly and i can run forever. i find that my shins tighten up when i've done lots of miles on the bike particularly over the weekend and no running and then try to run on monday morning...TIGHT! but like i said, once i stop and stretch out, it goes away.

The other stretch:

again, notice her toes are pointing back and that is the best way to make those anterior tib muscles stretch. you can also do it like this:
I hope you can see the pictures b/c it's easier to understand by seeing it rather than written explanation. I hope it helps you!
Thank yous so much KC for sending this off to me.  I have been doing these stretches on a regular basis, and I think that they are helping me!  The shin pain is getting better...

You can find KC's blog at --> http://my140point6milejourney.blogspot.com/
Thanks again KC!  Much appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. They are starting to feel better. I have lightened up my running regimine...so that has helped as well.
    The pain is still there...but it is not as severe...thank goodness!
    So thanks again for the information!

    ReplyDelete