Monday, April 12, 2010

Self imposed hiatus from running...

So, I have been taking a break from running…well…really taking a break from all physical activity due to the shin splints…but mainly the knee pain that I have been facing.
Coming up this Friday…it will have been 12 days since my last run (or any physical activity for that mater) and the self imposed rest seems to have worked so far. However…there has been one real downside here…I just weighed myself on the big digital scale here in the warehouse. Yikes…I have gained weight. Now…I was wearing clothing…and my steel toe boots…but I have gained weight. An embarrassing and scary amount of weight. The past week and a bit I have not done anything…or really followed a particular plan, other than just not doing anything to irritate my knees. So…my knees seem to be doing just fine…but my gut is expanding. The number on the scale just seemed to keep going…up…and up…and UP! 257 lbs.
So…I think that I am going to have to start something…other than running…to get moving once again. I will get back with running this weekend. I think that my plan might be to walk to the local soccer field, and then start my run/walk intervals there, then walk back home as my cool down. Running on the grass…might be a little bit easier on the knees to start back.
Now…for the rest of this week, I will get back into the Power 90 program and work on the Cardio and Strength programs. Just work at it lightly…and listen to my body as usual.
However…at anytime…I feel some knee pain…I will step back…and figure out a different plan!
Anyways…thanks for listening…
Tribork…out…

2 comments:

  1. Good luck w/ the training. As a father and also a bit on the heavy side myself, I feel your pain. Keep up the good work.
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about your knee & shin splints. the key is to stay as active as possible and keep a check on the calories going in, especially if you are having to cut back on activity. personally, I don't think stopping all working out is a good choice because there are so many other things you can still do without aggravating what ails you, like swimming, elliptical machine, cycling. also, the additional weight gained will put even more stress on your already stressed out knee joint...a catch 22. I think your run/walk on the soccer field is a great plan. keep moving Brian!! Resting is rusting.

    ReplyDelete