Thursday, November 11, 2010

November 11th - 2010 - Remembrance Day

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Lest we forget.

Today is Remembrance Day here in Canada, Veteran’s Day in the US, and it is a day that to me, seems to be forgotten by our youth. Whose fault is that? Parents, Teachers?

Since I was a little boy, I can remember my parents taking me to the ceremonies every year. It was a family event, rain or shine. My Grandpa (Mom’s Dad), fought in WW2, and was a part of the crew that swept the mines in the waters of Normandy in the days leading up to the war. As I grew up, I used to try and ask him questions about the war, and what sort of things that he saw. He would take a deep breath, and just say death. Then slowly change the subject. I never pushed the subject, as I could tell that it was still tender even after all these years had passed. He never watched war movies, as he felt they glorified what really happened out there. You can not capture that emotion he would say…

Today I remember him…and the sacrifices that he made to serve his country.

I remember those that gave their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we have now. The freedom to run wherever and whenever we want.

Today I remember…and pay my respects.

If you get a chance, go to this link - http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance.htm - and watch the video. It is a true story and inspired Terry to write the song and make the video. You can also find the video on You Tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment